Sunday 3 July 2011

The Demoiselles de Coiffees - WIP

I'm now on my way home and am posting this while sat in a hotel in Bourg-en-Bresse.

It's a good time to try and to post some more of my sketches and pastel works in progress which haven't yet made it on to the blog given to only being able to post images via Flickr.

This work in progress is maybe about 60% completed - enough for you to see where it's going and not enough for me to be happy with as a completed work. It's on half a sheet of Art Spectrum Colourfix.

I spent a lot of time while at Couguieux directing people to the path where you can see these amazing landforms. There was a point where we speculated about putting up a picture and a finger saying "They're that way" but I don't think any of us had the correct french for it.

I was very disappointed not to be able to make it to Rousillon on Thursday. Most of the day was given over to trying to find a hotel for last night's stay. What I hadn't realised was that France hits the road as soon as the schools break up - the traffic I saw going down the Autoroute de Soleil yesterday were awesome.

My sat nav decided that the traffic was way to heavy to let me go via the autoroute and took me via the D7 and D8 up the Rhone Valley where I drove through very many vineyards and lavender fields.

However if you want to paint sunflowers go to the fields south of Bourg-en-Bresse either side of the A42 - there are numerous amazing fields of sunflowers.

Today I'm off to more vineyards on the Cote d'Or which is where the best red burgundy wine comes from.

4 comments:

Anita said...

Interesting mix of shapes in this making for great composition. Love the colours!

smiles, Sharon said...

You are so consistent. You only produce excellent work!!! You do such a magnificent job with colored pencil, it makes me want to give it a try. I have the most amazing set of colored pencils, no excuse not to. You pressure is so consistent.
It really is great that you have been able to spend so much time in Provence. It seems to me that it was worthwhile being redirected, allowing you to see fields of sunflowers and lavender. We are growing sunflowers in North Carolina, in remembrance of all the beautiful sunflower fields we have seen in our travels. The sunflower is probably my most oft painted flower...it just makes one happy! Enjoy your last moments...perhaps you are home now filled with a sense of accomplishment and FREEDOM to do as you wish for an extended time. Love receiving your posts in my email. Smiles: Sharon

Making A Mark said...

Many thanks both of you.

Shaton - this particu;ar work is in pastels.

Shelley Whiting said...

Wow I love this work it's very expressive. The sky is dramatic and I love the loose brushstrokes of the sky. Lovely work.