I thought I might as well put it on the blog and then I can't lose it! I'm bound to have forgotten stuff I need to take so this will keep being updated as I remember it! Hopefully it will be complete before I set off on 9th June.
Now I know it looks like a lot but I am going to be in Provence for three weeks and this is a painting holiday not a sightseeing one. Plus I've got six days of travelling there and back when I'll be fitting in sketches to break up the journey.
Plus I'm driving - and that's what I buy a decent sized car for - so I can take art materials on holiday!
- Moleskine sketchbooks (A3, A4 x 2, ordinary size)
- Moleskine watercolour sketchbook
- Panorama sketchbook?
|Unison Pastel Sets at Walden Pond|
- My complete sets of Unison Pastels - seen above during a plein air outing to Walden Pond in Massachusetts
- My Pastel Art Bin (more portable!) So sad to see that they don't seem to be making these any more - I really like them. However they won't take Unisons which is why I've always kept mine in their boxes.
- Lots and lots of coloured pencils + pencil wraps + pencil cases
Water based media
- Schminke paintbox - if I can find it
- Gouache - but whose? / do my old tubes still work?
- Black brush roll and Brushes for watercolour / gouache
- W&N Griffin Alkyds (need to buy / including 200ml white / need to decide how these are best carried)
- W&N Liquin
- W&N Art Guard
- W&N Art Gel
- Brushes for Alkyds - to buy
- Palette knives for Alkyds - to buy
- Cheap nutcrackers for if lids are hard to open (tip from Vivien Blackburn)
- Zest It
- Disposable Palette Pad
- Really Useful Boxes for paint tubes and other art media
- Baby oil to clean brushes and clothes! (another tip from Vivien Blackburn)
Paper and supports
- Pack of Arches sheets cut down to usable sizes
- Arches HP Block
- Ampersand Colorfix (Fix colourfix to mountboard?)
- Mountboard cut down to usable sizes (plus gesso? / plus watercolour ground?)
- Oil Painting Pad (A3?)
- Baking Paper to cover wet paint (that tip was from Sarah)
- Cling film to cover palette (that tip was from somebody else - I forget who)
|Me on my Phillips Chair - nearly 20 years ago|
Sketching Pura Ulun Danu Bratan by Lake Bedugal in Bali
Check this gallery for the pastel painting completed at home
I'm going to take different ones have different weight for different circumstances - plus we're a party!)
- Blacks Eurohike Compact Chair
- cheaper camping chair
- Phillips De Luxe Folding Chair
- Blacks Compact Stool (for sketching)
- RHS Kneeling Pad - for sitting on ground
- Different size sheets of 5mm foam core for drawing board
- LOTS OF BULLDOG CLIPS (can you tell what I often forget?)
- Box easel - probably not. Buy a lightweight sketching easel instead?
- Pochade box instead of an easel?
Painting media equipmentConsider as an alternative, a simple plastic food box - the kind with clip sides is good. That's what I took to Cornwall. Though I took my easel I never actually used it! I hand hold my work - you can use the lightweight board you use and clip your sketchpad and palette to it with bulldog clips. The liquin and palette knives fit into the box as well. Brushes in an old padded envelope rolled up. Then baby oil and rags and tissues plus your oil paper sketchbook and it all fits into a lightweight rucksack.Vivien Blackburn (Painting Prints & Stuff)
- baby oil and wet wipes - for cleaning up
- Masking tape
- roll of kitchen towel
- Cornmeal for cleaning pastels
- Really Useful Boxes for keeping pastels I'm using in plus cornmeal to keep them clean (this is a Felicity House tip - see this post)
- Electric pencil sharpener (Yes / No / Maybe?) I do wish there was still a decent portable sharpener around with like my old Panasonic KP-4A
- Jakar battery powered erasers + small batteries + spare erasers - I'll probably pack three as I'd be distraught if I only packed one and lost it
- Tuff Stick (this is a tip from Dianna Ponting)
- Art Equipment - Resources for Artists
- Pastels and Pencils - Art Materials - Erasers
- Pastels and pencils - Art Materials - Pencil Sharpeners
- Product Review: Really Useful Boxes (for art media and crafts)
- Product Review: Jakar Battery Operated Eraser Pen
- Camera + charger
- two new SD cards
- spare batteries + charger
- Camcorder + charger + new SD card
- iPad + mains lead + USB cable + up to date software
- card reader
|Venice shopping trolley |
doubles as Artcart
- Sun Tan cream / sun block
- long sleeved shirt for if I'm in full sun
- insect repellent plus cream for if I get bitten (guaranteed!)
- Visor to keep sun out of my eyes. I don't wear sunglasses while using colour.
- Hat with decent brim
- Baby Oil and wet wipes - clean up equipment
- Shopping trolley from Venice - this from a holiday where I gave in and realised that the shopping trolleys were an excellent way of getting stuff around really easily
Even if it's just for ourselves!
- BluTak for displaying work without damaging walls
Books about Oil Painting
But that's another post.......